Join this special 10-Day, 2-Island Classic Trinidad and Tobago birding and nature tour, the very best introduction to tropical birding. This tour is part of the Asa Wright Nature Centre’s 50th Anniversary celebrations and features wildlife artist and field guide illustrator Keith Hansen and his wife, fabric artist Patricia Briceño. Well-known to birders and artists, Keith is excited to share his illustration expertise with you.
Trinidad, with its nearness to Venezuela, offers a variety of birds not usually seen on an island, while Tobago feels completely different — classic Caribbean. Combined, these islands offer a variety of habitats that yield dramatic diversity.
This tour stays at the world-renowned Asa Wright Nature Centre (AWNC) for the first six nights. Join Keith and Patricia on the Centre’s famous verandah for incredible birding — if you are new to the tropics, you could see forty life birds before breakfast! Then, spend three nights on Tobago at the pleasant Cuffie River Nature Retreat, an secluded 10-room eco-lodge tucked in the forest, where birds abound.
Keith is an excellent birder, and can help you learn techniques to “capture” these feathered creatures on paper. Enhance your birding experiences by learning to render quick sketches. Demonstrations examine anatomy, form, lighting, perspective, and negative space. Keith offers sketching sessions during the week ... beginner or an expert, all are welcome.
Tour Highlights on Trinidad
- Discover the AWNC with expert guides, who share robust knowledge and world-class guiding
- Relax with morning coffee and easy birding on the famed verandah
- See Oilbirds in Dunston Cave on the Centre’s grounds
- Develop your artistic skills in sketching workshops with Keith Hansen (optional)
- Hike intriguing trails with trained and personable guides
- Witness skies clouded with hundreds of Scarlet Ibis as they roost at Caroni National Park
Tour Highlights on Tobago
- Arrive to a frenzied feeding at Cuffie River’s feeders, perfect for relaxed viewing and photography
- Enjoy Cuffie River’s distinctive tropical architecture and gentle breezes in the mountains
- Marvel at Cuffie River’s dinner guests: maybe a White-tailed Nightjar or Common Potoo
- Cruise to Little Tobago Island and hike Tobago’s historic Main Ridge Forest Reserve
Photo credits: Banner: Copper-rumped Hummingbird by Buck Snelson; Bananaquit by Sandy Sorkin; Golden-olive Woodpecker by Sandy Sorkin; Common Potoo at Cuffie River Nature Retreat by Mike Boyce; Red-billed Tropicbird by Mike Boyce; Trinidad Motmot by Mike Boyce; Oilbird by Janice Petko; Purple Honeycreeper by Peg Abbott; Red-crowned Woodpecker by Sandy Sorkin.