The Birder’s Intensive Plus IBV solves the problem of choosing between two wonderful lodges on Tobago. Simply choose Birder’s Intensive Plus, and you’ll experience both. This option builds from the Basic IBV, adding three additional field trips from the AWNC and two additional field trips on Tobago. Like all of our levels of Trinidad and Tobago IBVs, the Birder’s Intensive Plus first features time at the celebrated Asa Wright Nature Centre (AWNC) in the scenic Northern Range.
All of our Trinidad and Tobago IBVs include:
• Guided walks and evening programs at the AWNC
• A tour of the Centre’s Dunston Cave to view the breeding Oilbird colony
• A trip to Caroni National Park, where your day ends with the spectacular flight of Scarlet Ibis returning to their mangrove roosts — truly one of the world’s most dramatic natural moments
• A Little Tobago Island glass-bottom boat tour with hike to see resident seabirds
Birder’s Intensive Plus 9-Night IBV Details
• 5 nights at the renowned Asa Wright Nature Centre
• 2 nights at Cuffie River Nature Retreat on Tobago
• 2 nights at Blue Waters Inn on Tobago
Why upgrade from the Basic to the Birder’s Intensive Plus IBV?
• Enjoy an additional night at the AWNC
• Add on additional field trips from AWNC. Like the Basic Plus, we add Trinidad’s Scenic Northern Range on the Blanchisseuse Road and Night Birding in Trinidad’s lowland savanna. For Birder’s Intensive, we also add the full day trip to Trinidad’s East Coast / Nariva Swamp
• Stay at both lodges on Tobago, with a trip to the Gilpin Trace Main Ridge Preserve, the oldest bird sanctuary in the Western Hemisphere
• From Cuffie River Nature Retreat take a guided walk with a resident bird expert as part of this option
How does an IBV compare to Caligo’s Guided Group Tours?
For keen birders, a guided group tour is still the top choice; on each island you have one guide dedicated to your group who tracks your sightings and makes decisions on how best to spend time each day, based on what the group has seen. And, more eyes typically results in more species seen. Groups also have access to one additional birding area that individuals do not, and Caligo groups enjoy a special lunch at Brasso Seco village. The advantages of an IBV are that it can be set for any date, and it can be set more at your own pace — relaxed or birder’s intensive. While you do join other independent birders on field trips, you are typically with 4 – 6 persons on the field trips. An IBV is ideal for companions that have different levels of interest, one can join field trips while the other relaxes at the lodge. Cultural forays can be arranged as well.
Please note, that although those on an IBV may have different guides for different trips, all are top-rate guides.
Photo credits: Banner: White-tailed Tropicbird, Gerold Morrison; Leatherback Turtle Returning to Sea, Peg Abbott; Birding Caroni National Park, Dodie Logue; Bananaquit Feeding, Peg Abbott; Copper-rumped Hummingbirds, Karen Chiasson; Brown Violetear, Alan Gertler; Boatbill Herons, Tom Dove; Violaceous Euphonia, Greg Smith.