Explore Trinidad and Tobago, the best introduction to tropical birding on the planet, with our 10-Day, 2-Island Classic Tour. Based out of three locations – the waterfront Hyatt Regency and Pax Guest House on Trinidad, and the delightful Cuffie River Nature Retreat on Tobago, spend time with toucans, trogons, manakins, colorful tanagers, elegant seabirds and more.
Start your stay at the ultra-comfortable, full-service Hyatt Regency Trinidad, with ocean views from your room. With your guides, venture to scenic mountain terrain and higher altitude species of the Northern Range with a must-do lunch stop at a village-run chocolatier. On another day, enjoy wetland species and an exciting night birding drive with picnic dinner.
Next, return to the airport to take a short twenty-minute scenic flight over to Tobago. Enjoy 3 nights at the Cuffie River Nature Retreat in forest terrain where hummingbirds feed (and if you are lucky, potoos perch) just outside your dining room window. Enjoy a day trip over to the other side of the island to experience the seabirds on a short boat trip to Little Tobago Island.
Your final three nights back on Trinidad are in the historic Pax Guest House, well loved by visiting birders. Enjoy the spectacular view of adjacent forest, and across the city to the Gulf. Stick by the verandah feeders for hummingbirds and perching species. From here it’s a short hop to the fabulous hummingbirds of Yerette, a full day field trip to Nariva Swamp, and a spectacular finale of a still water boat ride to watch the Scarlet Ibis of Caroni National Park arrive to roost at sunset.
Note that while all itineraries include both the Pax Guest House and the Hyatt Regency, on some the two may be interchanged, according to availability.
Tour Highlights on Trinidad
- Experience classic comfort at the Hyatt Regency, our base for also exploring the mountains, savanna and mangroves of Central Trinidad.
- Enjoy big vistas and hummingbirds up close at Pax Guest House—a quiet oasis just a short ride from coastal birding and the cultural hub of Port of Spain.
- Bird in varied habitats from savanna to mangrove, lowland forest to mountain terrain.
- Dine in a local village known for making quality chocolates and local cuisine.
- Get up close and personal in gardens at lunch stops, designed to attract brilliantly colored hummingbirds, honeycreepers, tanagers, toucans, and more.
- Witness skies turned crimson with thousands of Scarlet Ibis coming in to roost in Caroni National Park.
Tour Highlights on Tobago
- Arrive to a frenzy at Cuffie River Resort’s feeders, perfect for observation and photography. Enjoy creative tropical architecture; let the breeze be your ventilation in this peaceful mountain retreat.
- Take a swim—from the pool watch Trinidad Motmot, Rufous-vented Chachalaca and Orange-winged Parrots!
- Enjoy creative tropical architecture; let the breeze be your ventilation in this peaceful mountain retreat.
- Marvel at dinner guests that may include — just outside — a White-tailed Nightjar or the Common Potoo.
- Visit Tobago’s historic Main Forest Ridge Preserve and Little Tobago Island with experienced, local guides, followed by a boat ride to land and observe seabirds on Little Tobago Island.
Photo credits: Banner: Savannah Hawk, Mike Boyce; Red-and-Green Macaw, Faraaz Abdool; Yellow Silk Moths, Dave Ramlal; Grey Kingbird, Mike Boyce; Barred Antshrike; Scarlet Peacock, Mukesh Ramdass; Blue-chinned Saphire, Dave Ramlal; Sleeping Bat, Dodie Logue; Tegu Lizard, Howard Topoff.