More and more birders are traveling with their cameras, taking delight in creating images of beautiful species encountered. With today’s equipment, it’s never been easier; but photographers at all levels can always continue to build their skills. Imagine a week with like-minded companions in a small group (limit 8 participants), the fabulous birds that make Trinidad a world-class birding destination AND someone to help you advance your skills?
Our Celebrity week with Hugh Simmons, a professional photographer and patient teacher, is designed for birders who are interested in improving their bird photography, and how to better use their cameras to photograph flowers, insects, landscapes, and more. There will be ample field time alongside lectures and demonstrations. Learn how to get the most out of your digital, mirror-less, or higher-end all-in-one camera, and capture keepsake images of species such as Tufted Coquette, Crested Oropendola, Trinidad Motmot, and those day-glow Purple and Green Honeycreepers that feed at arm’s length off the Centre’s famed Verandah.
Birders have a great eye for bird and mammal behavior. Centre naturalists join field outings to help identify and interpret iconic tropical species, including mammals such as Red-rumped Agouti and reptiles such as a local Boa Constrictor, or Fer de Lance. Practice photography skills while enjoying Trinidad’s exceptional biodiversity at the Centre and on field trips into the mangroves and mountains.
Hugh’s goal is to help you get the best photo pre-processing that is possible. Spend time perfecting your ability to capture intriguing images of the 40-plus species that visit the famous feeders, plantings and verandah at the Centre. Improve your photography in low light conditions on lush forest trails and in the swamps of Caroni National Park, as thousands of Scarlet Ibis fly to theirs roost at dusk. Frame birds with scenic shots of mountain and grassland terrain while visiting the surrounding Northern Range and Aripo Agricultural Station. Local foods and fun are part of the week: with an option to enhance your skills for close-ups and city scenes at the bustling Arima Market.
Tour Highlights on Trinidad
- Learn new photographic tricks and tips in individual and small group settings from professional photographer Hugh Simmons.
- Bird the Centre and surrounding areas with AWNC’s expert guides, who share robust knowledge and friendly, world-class guiding skills
- Savor six nights at the lovely Asa Wright Nature Centre; relish morning coffee and birding on the famous verandah
- Experience hummingbirds - over the week a dozen species are possible!
- Witness skies turned crimson with thousands of Scarlet Ibis coming in to roost in Caroni National Park
- Explore Trinidad’s grassland, savannah, swamp and urban settings and the fabulous birds found within them while you practice new-found photographic skills