Explore Trinidad and Tobago, the best introduction to tropical birding on the planet, with our 10-Day, 2-Island Classic Tour. Based out of three very special lodges – Hacienda Jacana and Pax Guest House on Trinidad, and the delightful Cuffie River Nature Retreat on Tobago, spend time with toucans, trogons, manakins, colorful tanagers, elegant seabirds and more.
Start your stay at one of the cozy, comfortable, air-conditioned cottages at Hacienda Jacana. Stick to the feeders for hummingbirds and perching species or scout the pond for Wattled Jacana and other wetland specialties. With your guides, venture off the grounds for the scenic mountain terrain and higher altitude species of the Northern Range with a must-do lunch stop at a village-run chocolatier. On another day, enjoy a full-day outing to Nariva Swamp.
Next, return to the airport to take a short twenty-minute scenic flight over to Tobago. Enjoy 3 nights at the Cuffie River Nature Retreat in forest terrain where hummingbirds feed (and if you are lucky, potoos perch) just outside your dining room window. Enjoy a daytrip over to the other side of the island to experience the seabirds on a short boat trip to Little Tobago Island.
Your final three nights back on Trinidad are at the historic Pax Guest House, well loved by visiting birders and overlooking Port of Spain. From here it’s a short hop to cultural activities, the fabulous hummingbirds of Yerette, and a spectacular finale of a still water boat ride to watch the Scarlet Ibis of Caroni National Park arrive to roost at sunset.
Tour Highlights on Trinidad
- Savor birding right from the decks of your air-conditioned cabin, hand-crafted from local materials. Stroll along the lagoon and in gardens at Hacienda Jacana, our base for also exploring the mountains, savanna and mangroves of Central Trinidad.
- Dine in a local village known for making quality chocolates and local cuisine.
- Get up close and personal with brilliantly colored hummingbirds, honeycreepers, tanagers, toucans, and more.
- Enjoy big vistas and hummingbirds up close at Pax Guest House - a quiet oasis just a short ride from coastal birding and the cultural hub of Port of Spain.
- Bird in varied habitats from savanna to mangrove, lowland forest to mountain terrain.
- Witness skies turned crimson with thousands of Scarlet Ibis coming in to roost in Caroni National Park.
Tour Highlights on Tobago
- Arrive to a frenzy at Cuffie River Resort’s feeders, perfect for observation and photography. Enjoy creative tropical architecture; let the breeze be your ventilation in this peaceful mountain retreat.
- Take a swim – from the pool watch Trinidad Motmot, Rufous-vented Chachalaca and Orange-winged Parrots!
- Enjoy creative tropical architecture; let the breeze be your ventilation in this peaceful mountain retreat.
- Marvel at dinner guests that may include — just outside — a White-tailed Nightjar or the Common Potoo.
- Visit Tobago’s historic Main Forest Ridge Preserve and Little Tobago Island with experienced, local guides, followed by a boat ride to land and observe seabirds on Little Tobago Island.