We call this tour ULTIMATE as it is designed to showcase the best of Trinidad and Tobago. Compared to our 10-Day, 2-Island Classic Tour, it is more varied and covers more of both islands. Experience time at two additional lodges; Mt. Plaisir at Grand Riviere and the beachside Blue Waters Inn on Tobago. These lodges offer not only the ultimate in birding variety, but also the chance to take some breaks to pursue your interests, be they birding, butterflies, photography, or simply relaxing in a tropical setting and letting the birds come to you.
Start your stay at one of two Port of Spain hotels - the historic Pax Guest House, well loved by visiting birders, or the Hyatt Regency, one of the finest hotels on the island, overlooking Port of Spain, Whichever you start with, you will end at the other. Pax Guest House features the spectacular view of adjacent forest, and across the city to the Gulf. Stick by the verandah feeders for hummingbirds and perching species. The Hyatt Regency is an ultra-comfortable, full-service hotel, with easy access to both cultural activities and field trip sites.
Start your tour with a venture to the tropical rainforests, scenic mountain terrain and higher altitude species of the Northern Range, made famous by renowned scientists including William Beebe and David Snow. with a must-do lunch stop at a village-run chocolatier.
Moving on, you’ll visit local savanna for hawks and shorebirds on your way to a boutique, beachfront lodge on Trinidad’s northeastern coast, where lush forests provide a stronghold for the endangered Trinidad Piping-Guan. In addition to the piping-guan, from March to July the beach immediately outside your hotel window is ideal for viewing nesting Leatherback Turtles (and later in the season you can witness the hatchlings emerging).
Next, return to the airport and following a short twenty-minute scenic flight, explore two boutique lodges on Tobago, Cuffie River Nature Retreat in forest terrain where hummingbirds feed (and if you are lucky, potoos perch) just outside your dining room window, and Blue Waters Inn on the coast, with a very swimmable beach and view of Little Tobago Island.
Your final three nights are back in Port of Spain, an easy hop to the fabulous hummingbirds of Yerette, a full-day field trip to Nariva Swamp, and a spectacular finale of a still water boat ride to watch the Scarlet Ibis of Caroni National Park arrive to roost at sunset.
Tour Highlights on Trinidad
- Treat yourself to three elegant nights at one of Trinidad’s best hotels, the waterfront Hyatt Regency Trinidad – first class accommodations just a short ride from both coastal birding and the cultural hub of Port of Spain.
- Enjoy big vistas and hummingbirds up close at Pax Guest House - a quiet oasis just a short ride from coastal birding and the cultural hub of Port of Spain.
- Bird in varied habitats from savanna to mangrove, lowland forest to mountain terrain.
- Dine in a local village known for making quality chocolates and local cuisine.
- Relish a night at Mt. Plaisir Estate Hotel in Grande Riviere where nearby, the endemic and highly-endangered Trinidad Piping-guan roosts in trees.
- In season, see the largest turtle, the Leatherback, nesting on the beach at Grande Riviere, and possibly see emerging hatchlings.
- Witness skies turned crimson with thousands of Scarlet Ibis coming in to roost in Caroni National Park.
- *Some tours may start at the Hyatt Regency and end at Pax Guest house – all tours will have the same number of nights at each of these two hotels.
Tour Highlights on Tobago
- Arrive to a frenzy of birds at Cuffie River Resort’s feeders, perfect for observation and photography. Enjoy creative tropical architecture; let the breeze be your ventilation in this peaceful mountain retreat.
- Marvel at dinner guests that may include — just outside — a White-tailed Nightjar, Trinidad Motmot or the Common Potoo.
- Visit Tobago’s historic Main Forest Ridge Preserve on your way to two nights at ocean-front Blue Waters Inn.
- Take time to relax and swim in the pool or the sandy beach right off your room, or explore for more forest birds.
- Travel the short distance from the hotel dock to land on Little Tobago Island, home to thousands of seabirds.
Photo credits: Banner: Trinidad Piping-guan, Peg Abbott; Leatherback Turtle, Peg Abbott; Bay-headed Tanager, Steve Wolfe; Torch Ginger, CV Stock; Green Honeycreeper, Mike Boyce; Ferruginous Pygmy Owl, Mike Boyce; Palm Tanager, Mike Boyce; Scarlet Ibis, Mike Boyce; Caterpillar, Mike Boyce.